- Blanch the tomatoes very briefly in boiling water, peel them and blend to a puree.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a sauce pan on a medium heat. Add the diced aubergine and brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil and soften the garlic and the onion in 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine, broth and half of the basil. Season with salt and pepper. Let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bake the wafers. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Arrange tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese on the lined baking sheet, approx. 1 cm apart. Place in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted and is turning golden brown. Leave the wafers to cool on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the tomato soup with the remaining basil and serve with the Parmesan wafers.
- 2 small aubergines
- 12 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250 ml dry red wine
- 375 ml vegetable or chicken broth
- 15 gram fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 125 gram Parmesan cheese, grated