Do you love the taste of eel and mackerel? You can give aubergine a surprising fishlike flavour by smoking it. The silky aubergine texture combined with the smoky flavour makes this a great and decadent delicacy. Delicious on toast or a sandwich with rocket salad, avocado and an extra touch of vegan mayonnaise.
- Preheat the oven to the highest temperature possible (approx. 250°C).
- Wash the aubergines and poke some holes in them with a skewer or a small knife.
- Roast the aubergines on a rack for approx. 30 minutes until the skin is completely charred and crispy. The skin is not eaten, so it can be charred.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and half them lengthwise.
- Prepare the smoker. Smoke the aubergines for approx. 10 minutes. Turn off the heat of the smoker and leave to cold-smoke for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the smoker. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin. Use two forks to gently tear apart the stringy flesh, but not too much. It’s nice to leave a bit of texture.
- Mix in the mayonnaise and season to taste with salt and pepper and the garlic powder. Garnish with parsley or dill.
Eat the fishy eggplant with bread and avocado.
Stovetop or grill-top smokers are readily available at cooking stores or online. It is a kind of baking tray you can use on a stove or over a fire, to smoke produce by using wood chips. It is very easy to use and gives a wonderful flavour to vegetables.
- 2 aubergines
Pepper and salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (Jean Baton, Remia Mayolijn)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Several sprigs of freshly chopped parsley or dill
- Smoker with smoking dust